Thứ Ba, 21 tháng 10, 2014

Women pilots blaze new career path

A relatively new career path opening up in Vietnam is that of becoming a pilot, a highly rewarding profession that demands rigorous training and mastery of a diverse set of skills. Averie Nguyen meets some of the women that conquer our skies on a daily basis under the employ of Vietjet.
Diverse inspirations 

female pilots 
Vietnamese pilot Nguyen Phuong Anh and Filipino pilot Antonette Parucha.
Born and raised in the Polish capital of Warsaw, 29-year-old Anna Jastrzebska, who is fluent in three languages, bypassed other candidates to become Vietjet’s first female pilot in 2012.
Anna became familiar with planes and flying at a young age thanks to her father, an amateur pilot. “I am grateful that my dad is a pilot,” she says. “My passion for flying began when my father took me with him on his glider for the first time. That passion is still with me now.”
Unlike Anna, 33-year-old Filipino pilot Antonette Parucha was originally drawn to the uniform. “In college, a female student caught my attention one day when she wore a very nice outfit. When I found out it was pilot’s wear, I felt that I wanted to be in that uniform and one day I would be in that uniform,” she explained.
Before starting her career as a pilot, Antonette was a flight dispatcher and then a flight instructor. “I worked with Private Charter Aviation Company as a flight dispatcher after finishing a flying course,” she tells Timeout. “My bosses encouraged me to get a pilot's license and I did. Then, I worked part time as a pilot alongside my responsibilities as a flight dispatcher.”
After quitting her job as a flight dispatcher, Antonette flew as a charter pilot and also became a flight instructor. “As a flight teacher, I gained new skills and learned a lot when sharing my knowledge and experience to students.  Whenever I released a student for solo (flight), I experienced mixed feelings of happiness and pride that I was now part of a future pilot’s career,” beams the former teacher.
Difficulties faced

female pilots 
Polish pilot Anna Jastrzebska.

Both Anna and her husband work as pilots, their busy schedules making their moments together all the more valuable. “When we have spare time, we usually cook, play sport, or travel,” she says.
The living environment in Vietnam can also be a problem. “Traffic in Vietnam is what concerns me the most. I have to truly concentrate and be careful each time I go out,” she laughs.
Agreeing with Anna, Antonette adds “working here in Vietnam is different from what I’m used to because of the diverse nationalities that make up the working environment.” As far as the Filipino pilot is concerned, being far away from family is also a difficulty to overcome.
“Prior to applying to Vietjet Air, I had no plans to work outside my country. However, out of curiosity, I submitted my application and got accepted. I decided to give it a try and work outside my comfort zone,” she adds.
Some people might think that in this male-dominated industry female pilots need to try harder to be equal to their male counterparts. However, Anna believes that women and men have equal capabilities to do important jobs such as piloting aircraft. “With passion and determination, as well as satisfying strict requirements on professionalism, accuracy and problem-solving skills, women can do the job even better than men.”
Support received
Vietnamese 29-year-old pilot Nguyen Phuong Anh thinks that self-belief is the most important attribute that a pilot needs to successfully complete a flight. “I remember my first solo. Oh my goodness, I could not think about anything besides the question ‘am I ready?’ I kept asking my instructor ‘do you think I am ready?’ He just encouraged me, closed the door and then waved me off,” she recalls.
“My heart wanted to jump out of my chest. Lining up with the centerline, I paused for a second to make last-minute checks and take one final deep breath before setting the wheels of that moment in motion,” she continues.
“The moment you take an aircraft into the sky then bring it back safely to the ground, the moment you have to take care of everything on your own, the moment you know that you cannot make any mistakes, the moment you believe that you can do anything, the moment you are overcome with pride, they are unforgettable,” she proudly shares.
Agreeing with Phuong Anh, Antonette adds that the happiness of passengers is also an inspiration. “Many times I notice somewhat diverse facial expressions when passengers see me, a woman, sitting in the cockpit.  I just give them a smile in reply,” she says. “My smile assures them that they will have a safe flight. For me, seeing happy and contented passengers after landing is priceless.”
Anna believes that since it is a relatively new career path in Vietnam, pilots and female pilots in particular receive a high level of support from passengers and colleagues. “This is the true gift for me when working in Vietnam,” she says.
She adds that her family’s support is invaluable. “I am lucky that I have a husband who always encourages me in my job and shares in the household chores!”
Having been born in a country with a vastly different way of living, Anna believes that the warmth of the locals has helped her settle into her new surroundings. “This country is very different from my motherland. Whenever I begin to feel the contrast in my appearance and lifestyle, the friendliness of the people always wins me over.”
Averie Nguyen, VietNamNet Bridge

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét