Thứ Tư, 23 tháng 12, 2015

Foreign tourists harassed by Hanoi street vendors

It was around 11 am on December 4 and a German visitor was sitting on a bench by Hanoi’s West Lake holding a small plastic bag containing some bananas.
"I've just bought them from a street vendor who kept following me from the Quan Thanh Pagoda over there," he said. "She made me feel uncomfortable so I bought them because I felt sorry for her."
 
 The German tourist showed three bananas bought from a street vendor in Hanoi on December 4.
The German tourist also revealed that the vendor had demanded USD 5 for the three bananas.
"But when I told her that I would pay her only VND 35,000 (USD1.55) for them then she agreed," he added. "I think that this price is fair compared to the price in my country."
Several foreign tourists have complained about four female street vendors that congregate near the capital’s West Lake area who attempt to invite visitors to take photos with their conical hats and fruits.
Vietnamnet reporter saw the four vendors who were sitting on a sidewalk near the lake waiting for customers.
 
The four female street vendors were waiting for customers near the West Lake on December 4
When seeing a group of foreign tourists approaching, they all stood up carrying their fruits and invited the tourists to buy fruits or take photos.
Many other tourists who seemed to know about them, tried to run when seeing them approach. Several tourists, including a French woman, accepted the photo offer but then had a bad surprise when being asked for money for the "service".

"They asked if I wanted to take some photos with their hats and loads of fruits and I agreed," she then told Vietnamnet. "After that they invited me to buy bananas. I refused because they charged VND 50,000 for three bananas which I know too expensive here in Hanoi. Then they asked me to pay VND30,000 for the service."
According to a Huong who owns a small stall selling drinks near the lake, the four women have been scamming tourists for a long time.
"They only invite foreign tourists who look curious and want to try new experiences, Huong said. "But even if the tourists refuse, they will follow them and continue to hassle."
A motorbike taxi driver, Hoang, said that these women have been seen here for over 10 years. "They have been arrested many times by police but return right after being released.
Unhappy tourists have complained about street vendors for a long time but local police have never addressed the problem sufficiently seriously. Hoan Kiem Lake, West Lake and the Temple of Literature are common targets for the vendors.
dtinews.vn

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét